Treating Vertebral Compression Fractures With Minimally Invasive Procedures

By: Our Team


Vertebral compression fractures are most common in older men and women who have begun to lose some of their natural bone mass – often as a result of osteoporosis. There are other causes of vertebral compression fractures as well, including trauma and certain underlying health conditions. In either case, a vertebral compression fracture can cause significant pain and immobility, and even increase the patient’s likelihood of suffering a second or subsequent compression fracture. At Pain Zero in Central, Ohio (Hilliard, New Albany, Westerville, Grove City), our team of orthopedic pain management experts is focused on getting you rapid, lasting relief from your discomfort and protecting you from future injuries. Rather than simply masking the side effects of a vertebral compression fracture with a brace or medication, our team aims to correct the problem at its roots, minimize the risk of further complications, and help you get back to your favorite activities with confidence. Here, we’ll explore the benefits of IN OFFICE minimally invasive kyphoplasty procedure for the correction of a vertebral compression fracture. 


Who is at risk for a vertebral compression fracture?  

Almost anyone can suffer a vertebral compression fracture with any high impact event, but they are profoundly most common in the elderly population. This is due to the weakening of bones with age and age-related conditions like osteoporosis. As bone mass decreases and the vertebrae become thinner, weaker, and more brittle, even seemingly harmless behaviors – like leaning over a jigsaw puzzle or carrying a gallon of milk – may be enough to damage, compress, or fracture vertebrae. 


How are compression fractures treated?  

Unfortunately, only about 20% of vertebral compression fractures among Central Ohio patients are treated with an interventional approach. The remaining 80% of patients may be given a supportive brace and/or pain medication to control their symptoms but not the underlying problem. However, leaving the fracture left untreated can lead to more serious complications, including:  

  • Chronic pain 
  • Worsening pain causing limited activity
  • Repeat or adjacent level compression fracture 
  • Pneumonia 
  • Physical deformities, like a widow’s hump 


The benefits of minimally invasive procedures for a vertebral compression fracture 

By correcting a vertebral compression fracture with minimally invasive kyphoplasty procedure done IN OFFICE, the physicians at Pain Zero can help to safeguard your health and get you feeling comfortable and able once again. During a minimally invasive kyphoplasty in Central Ohio, a thin wand-like instrument is inserted beneath the skin via a small incision. Using image guidance, the doctor will place a specialized balloon within the vertebra. This device is slowly and carefully inflated to create a small space within the vertebra, which is then filled with a medical-grade bone “cement” material to restore the natural height of the vertebra and effectively repair the compression. Once hardened, the cement supports the new vertebral structure and helps to relieve the pain and other side effects of the compression fracture. 

With minimally invasive procedures for a vertebral compression fracture, patients can enjoy a quick procedure, a short recovery period, and years’ worth of pain relief and enhanced protection from a repeat injury. 


Don’t just put a Band-Aid on it; choose minimally invasive kyphoplasty in our office for your vertebral compression fracture in Columbus, OH 

Whether you’ve already tried medications and/or a brace for your compression fracture without relief or you’ve only recently sustained your injury and want immediate action, you may be a candidate for minimally invasive orthopedic surgery. For more information about the compelling reasons to consider minimally invasive kyphoplasty for your vertebral compression fracture, call Pain Zero to schedule your consultation with one of Central Ohio’s premier teams of orthopedic pain management experts today. 

* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.